Here is a simple recipe for pico de gallo -- a kind of salsa.
The reason why I love this is because the flavors used are so basic and they work so well with each other. All the colors create a beautiful finished product.
This is actually my boyfriend's recipe that we make at least once a week. Actually, one of the many reasons why I fell for him was because of his cooking - good food goes a long way!
We make this so often that we started growing our own cilantro to always have on hand! We also grow basil which gets used just as much.
1/2 lime for its juice
1/2 yellow onion
2 vine tomatoes
handful of cilantro
1. Dice onion and toss in medium size bowl
2. Cut tomatoes into quarters and use a spoon to remove the guts. No one likes mushy tomatoes!
3. Dice tomatoes and add to bowl with onions
4. To get the most liquid out of your lime, push down and roll it on table to release the juices, then squeeze into bowl.
5. Chop up cilantro and add to bowl
6. Stir everything up and enjoy!!
Since I am often home during the day, I usually make it ahead of time and let the ingredients marinate with each other in the fridge.
Tonight, we are making soft tacos with chicken, this pico de gallo, and of course, cheese! This is also so good in quesadillas, and we usually make more than needed to dip chips in.